Celebrating 10 Years of Blood Cancer Awareness
This September marks the 10-year anniversary of Blood Cancer Awareness Month, an annual event created by Congress in 2010 to bring attention to diseases of the blood, including the rare, chronic blood cancers known as myeloproliferative neoplasms, or MPNs.
MPNs such as polycythemia vera (PV), essential thrombocythemia (ET), and myelofibrosis (MF) are considered rare diseases, so they are not widely known. That’s why raising awareness is so important. Blood Cancer Awareness Month is an ideal time for the MPN community to unite in a connected effort to help change the perception of what it means to live with an MPN.
10 ways to raise your voice while raising MPN awareness
Throughout the month of September, you can help support the larger MPN community in celebrating Blood Cancer Awareness Month by taking part in a variety of awareness opportunities offered through the Voices of MPN community:
- Make a peer-to-peer connection—Connect one-on-one with another patient or caregiver who shares a similar MPN experience. Register for the CHAMPN Connections program
- Recognize an MPN Hero—Know someone who has made a difference in MPN care? NOMINATE them as one of our 2020 MPN Heroes. You can recognize a person or organization dedicated to improving the lives of people with MPNs. Nominations close on September 10, so be sure to honor your MPN Hero before it’s too late!
- Watch 10 Patients Strong—Hear words of wisdom from 10 real members of the MPN community in this inspiring video montage, featuring insights and support for navigating the MPN journey.
- Hear from Nurse Educators—Join the MPN community on the Voices of MPN Facebook page for an informative live session with Incyte Oncology Clinical Nurse Educators.
- Turn up the volume on MPN awareness—Listen to the latest episode of MPN Voices Out Loud—a podcast series by Voices of MPN. Hear from MPN expert, Dr. Krisstina Gowin, and renowned comic book artist and MPN community member, J.G. Jones, as they discuss the importance of tracking your MPN and identifying the signs of MPN disease progression and/or transformation.
- Reflect on the MPN experience—Read new patient stories while learning about Rare Reflections: MPNs
Unmasked—a campaign focused on raising awareness of, and educating about, the MPN experience.
- Get social—Connecting with others affected by MPNs helps create supportive communities that unite common experiences and interests. Every Tuesday during the month of September, Voices of MPN will feature a “Top 10 Tuesday content pulse” on Facebook. See what the MPN community has to say, and share these Facebook posts with your social media networks:
- Catch up on “recommended” reading—The Voices of MPN Blog section has new stories to share—plus easier ways to find them. Check it out!
- Register for resources—Registered members of the Voices of MPN community receive a variety of education and support materials
- Not registered? SIGN UP NOW
- Take a closer look at Voices of MPN—We’re making it easier than ever to connect, inform, and empower the MPN community. The Voices of MPN website has an exciting new look and feel that delivers a powerful community focus on every page. In addition to being even easier to navigate, we’re providing even more of the informative content you’ve been looking for.
How can you unite with the larger MPN community and get involved celebrating a decade of dedication to blood cancer and MPN awareness? Remember, every voice can make a difference—including yours!